Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Breakfast Scramble for Dinner


I love having breakfast for supper.  It started back in my childhood when my Mom, I'm sure out of exhaustion or frugalness or a combination of both, would serve us grits and eggs and bacon for supper.  It was cheap, easy and we all loved it so EVERYBODY was happy at the Smiley ranch.

SO I've continued that tradition into my adult life, but with some variation on the grits/eggs/bacon theme.  My sister sent me a box of Vidalia onions and one of the first dishes I wanted to make was a breakfast-supper dish - onions with potatoes and sausage.

I started by par-cooking the potatoes (after cutting them up) in the microwave for ten minutes or so to get them soft, then sauteeing 1/2 an onion in a little oil with kosher salt to which I added the potatoes and some leftover sausage.  

A few spices, a bit of pepper, and a grate of aged parm and voila! - a great cold-weather dish!  Easy, quick and economical - Mama would be proud.


No comments: