Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Risoooooooh-to

I've been on a risotto kick lately and having developed (what I think is) a burgeoning dairy intolerance, I wanted to crank out a good, creamy, and flavorful risotto without adding cream or cheese (much, anyway), or a lot of butter.

I decided to use a very potent vegetable stock as the liquid, a scant two tablespoons of butter and I garnished with a just a bit of aged Parmesan. Adding snap peas brought a sweetness to what might have been an otherwise boring (albeit savory) dish. It was a bit unconventional but ultimately, it worked.

Slow cooking, paddle stirring (for paddles I used wide bottomed silicon spatulas) and a really good starter rice - yes, in this case more expensive means better - helped to make my risotto creamy without adding lots of cheese or any cream.

Pics are below -















No comments: