Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Show Me the Person Who Doesn't Like Butterbeans

"Some people are fat, some people are lean.  But I want you to show me the person who doesn't like butterbeans!"  -B52s, "Butterbeans"

Growing up, butterbeans were a weekly side dish.  We had them with everything - pork, chicken, steak - you name it and my Mother could put some butterbeans with it and make everybody happy.

I waxed a bit nostalgic the other night and decided I wanted some peas.  I bought what I THOUGHT were zipper, or creamer, peas but as it turns out they were butterbeans.  Not the really big, meaty ones but, butterbeans after all.  After my initial disappointment at my lack of legume identify-iness (of which I've since remedied, by the way) I got excited about stewing up some butterbeans.

It's a fairly simple preparation - some water, salt, pepper, and a bit of ham for seasoning.  Bring to a boil for a few minutes then reduce and simmer for about an hour.

Here's the result, served with thick sliced toast.  









No comments: