Sunday, February 22, 2009

Let's eat at the Waffle House - in my kitchen!

I was reading through a recent breakfast inspired issue of Saveur and noticed a column extolling the glories of the Waffle House.  The Waffle House?  In Saveur?

Baby, you’ve come a long way … and I must agree. 

**Here’s the article link online:  Welcome Home

Few pleasures in life are as simple, and as cheap, as breakfast at a diner and it's delivered 24 hours a day at the Waffle House.  Granted, most of my WH experiences have been in the wee hours, as a stop from a bar or club to help sate an alcohol-fueled hunger but I have on occasion eaten there during daylight hours.  Sober.  Sometimes alone.  Most times with friends (somehow it’s better that way).

Encouraged by the Saveur column I was reading I decided to make my own Waffle House breakfast one morning.   Hashbrowns and sausage seemed to fit the bill, and were available in my fridge without having to go out and pick something up (it was a laaaazy morning for me).

I had one large baking potato and about ½ a pound of deli sausage – and I figured I’d stay true to my Waffle House inspiration and use sliced American cheese.

It’s a simple prep – grate the potato and wring through a few papertowels to remove most of the moisture.  Melt a good bit of butter in a cast iron skillet and drop two or three mounds (about a handful) of potatoes in.  Salt and pepper them while in the pan and press down with a spatula to make a sort of potato pancake.

Cook for six or seven minutes over medium-high heat until a crust forms on the bottom, then flip.  Repeat the process until you’re satisfied with the color and crispness of the hashbrowns. Right before you want to pull the potatoes out of the pan, cover each with a slice of American cheese.

Served with good old fashioned southern sausage patties, it’s a trip to the Waffle House without having to leave your kitchen!



No comments: