Thursday, December 18, 2008

Let's Go Bistro - Supper for a Friend

My favorite thing in the world is cooking.  Cooking for myself, cooking for others ... be it a group or just one person, I rather like making people happy by serving something tasty.  Tonight, I made supper for a friend.  

I wanted something simple but still kinda elegant and ... well the only word I could really come up with is "bistro".   

A bistro is a small, moderately priced restaurant focusing on simple dishes - mostly "entree-of-the-day" type dishes.  A typical example would be the sidewalk cafe, with tables street side and a small dining room inside.  Braised meats, potato dishes, fowl, cassoulets ... these are bistro dishes. 

At home, one of the easiest bistro dishes is steak with roasted potatoes.  It's place among the classics in nearly every cuisine is secure - so that's what I chose.


I roasted the potatoes in quarter slices with salt, pepper, olive oil and a small bit of garlic.  When I removed them from the oven I cut the wedges into bite-sized pieces.  I decided on a garnish of sauteed onion and parsley.



The steak was a flat iron (my new favorite cut) and was salted, peppered and seared on the stove top for four minutes on each side.  

Served "stacked", I was able to spoon the onion/parsley garnish over both the steak and the potatoes.  My friend loved it.  *I* loved it.  




No comments: