Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Flat Iron Steak, Lemon Broccoli and Pommes Frites

I love the flat iron steak.

It's a relatively new cut of beef, taken from the top shoulder portion of the cow near the chuck cuts.  It's pretty tasty and best of all - inexpensive.  I bought a steak big enough for two people for 3.99.  

I rested it, coated with olive oil, ground black pepper and kosher salt, for about an hour before I started cooking it.


While the steak was resting I ran some russet potatoes through a mandoline to make thick cut potato chips.  I added salt and pepper and fried them in canola oil until they were JUST ABOUT crispy.  This gave me sort of a hybrid between potato chips and french fries ... pommes frites, I believe the French call them.  Oooh La La.



After draining the potatoes - excuse me, pommes frites - and allowing them to cool, I did a quick sear on the steak of about 5 minutes per side.  Pulled it off the heat, and let it rest while I quick steamed some broccoli in the microwave.  YES.  The microwave.  It's perfect for such things and par-cooking and quick steaming (as well as the ubiquitous popcorn).  Plus, you get to keep the bright green color that is most times lost when steaming on top of the stove.



As soon as the broccoli finished ... voila!  A great dinner that took all of 30 minutes (not counting steak resting time).  Rachael Ray ain't got nothing on me, baby.  :)











No comments: