Saturday, December 18, 2010

Starfish Sushi

One of my favorite things in life is the unplanned "let's-eat-drink-and-feast" meal. You know, you set out to do one thing - in this case, Christmas shopping - and wind up doing nothing but eating and drinking.

It happened to me last week when I was headed to have "just a drink after work then we're going shopping" with a friend and the next thing I knew, I was headed home at 9:30pm having done no shopping, but instead, eating and drinking for the past few hours.

Here's some photos from Starfish Sushi ( www.starfishatlanta.com ), a fantastic sushi resto in the Avamore building on Peachtree Road in Buckhead. It's the same building with Restaurant Eugene and Holeman and Finch. We had probably 6 or 7 more dishes than what I snapped pictures of but honestly, it was all too tasty to stop and shoot a photo.

One particularly memorable dish was a Hamachi with serrano peppers, with cilantro and a tiny slice of serrano. Was my favorite dish of the night. The yellowtail was thick cut, almost like little ham steaks, and served with a bit of ponzu. It was FANtasty.

The first photo is a Pompano, served with sprouts and truffle oil (and per the menu, sea salt but none of us tasted any - didn't matter, it was really good even without the salt).

The second is a roll with some of the most brilliant looking roe - I believe it's called the "Ocean's Eleven" on the menu, but I could be mistaken because by the time this roll came around, about two gallons of sake had made it to the table, too.









No comments: