Saturday, March 28, 2009

A-B-C-D...T-U-V-What? They have Alpha Bits again?

Slap me and tell me I'm not dreaming!

Of course I'm not - I actually found Alpha-Bits cereal in the grocery again!

One of my favorite cereals as a child, I didn't eat any for years and then inexplicably in 2006, Post cereals pulled Alpha-Bits from the market.  For me it was a case of I didn't know what I was missing until it was gone.


I lamented - I despaired - I listened to my teacher friends complain because they used Alpha-Bits to help teach preschoolers (imagine that - learning the alphabet AND eating your work!). 

So every time I was at the grocery and in a cereal mood I would check for that blue box - and never did I find them.  Until last year when a 'no-sugar' variety appeared on the shelves, which was basically alphabet shaped Cheerios.  NO!  That's not Alpha-Bits!

And then today while shopping with a friend I spotted a box on the bottom shelf, bright blue and calling to me - ORIGINAL ALPHA-BITS!  Re-introduced in late 2008 as the original formula, sugar intact.

Sure the box design has changed a little bit but the cereal itself is exactly as I remembered it - sweet, crunchy and holds up well to a bowl of milk (read, not soggy too soon).  I couldn't have been more surprised or happier to find a link to my childhood, right there on the shelf!

So naturally, as soon as I got home I poured myself a bowl (and found enough intact letters to create a new Smiley Eats! logo).  


No comments: